Pardon me. I think I might pee on myself.
I absolutely love the community of musicians that began with Saddle Creek Records (the label started by Oberst). Maria Taylor (originally of Azure Ray) is another favorite of this group. I had the surprise privilege of seeing her open for Jimmy Eat World not long ago!
This music makes me very nostalgic. Freshman year at the College of Charleston, 2004, I discovered this pretty legendary group called the Postal Service. (Who knew Ben Gibbard had a side project?) And it was what everyone was listening to. Literally, in the stairwell of my dorm, girls would be going up and down singing the songs. And I became enamored by the voice of the girl who sang with him on the album. Come to find out, it was Jenny Lewis. Which led me to Rilo Kiley, and then to her solo release with the Watson twins a couple of years later. I fell in love, more or less. Why do I love her? Well. For one, her voice is phenomenal. For two, she is hot and she has pretty much the best style of anyone I've seen. For three, she has red hair. For four, she is a very talented songwriter, with a broad range of subject matter and mood and style.
Okay, so at the same time, my roommate Rachel introduced me and Grace to her Saddle Creek loves, Conor Oberst and Tim Kasher of Cursive. At first I was like, this pretty much makes me want to lay in my bed in a fetal position with the covers over my head and not speak to anyone. Ever again. It was totally foreign to me. But everyday at lunch (yes, the three of us ate lunch together, every day) she would talk about how we should move to Omaha (where all of these people got started) and how she should marry Tim Kasher. Her obsession was pretty amusing. Well, the following spring, Bright Eyes did a double release of I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn. Um... basically awesome. One of the songs, "The First Day of My Life," was actually the first dance song at our wedding. Singlehandedly one of the most powerful, but simple, love songs I've heard.
I can't really remember how we stumbled upon Maria Taylor. I'm pretty sure Grace just randomly downloaded her debut, 11:11, and we both got hooked. Another intoxicating voice.
So about those connections... Maria used to play drums for Bright Eyes at one point, and she was rumored to date Conor Oberst. Jenny Lewis obviously partnered with Ben Gibbard for the Postal Service (not a Saddle-Creeker, but might as well be). Conor, Jenny, and Ben collaborated on a song for Jenny's album with the Watson Twins called "Handle With Care." And now Conor and Jenny are touring together.
I'll admit that I've been tempted to pick up and move to Omaha myself! Apparently good steak is not the only thing that city has to offer the rest of the world.
One reason I'm drawn to these artists is that at one point or another, they have all experimented with a very folksy, dare I say country (gasp!), sound. It's like they've revisited the Grand Ole Opry days back in the 60s and 70s and have modernized the era of Johnny and June and the Ryman auditorium.
I love what Jenny did with the old tv show "Hee Haw" for her "Rise Up with Fists!!!" video. My mom grew up watching this show, sort of a skit/humor type thing with guest music stars ranging from Loretta Lynn to Roy Rogers to Conway Twitty (basically all of the legends).
Compare the first video (Dolly Parton on Hee Haw, 1974) to Jenny's version:
Pretty awesome, huh?
Now for a taste of Conor Oberst and Maria Taylor:
Notice the Nashville influence?
Love it.
And just for my nostalgia's sake, and because I love the retro look of it, AND of course because this wouldn't be complete without a little Ben Gibbard, here's another favorite: The Postal Service's "We Will Become Silhouettes":
Feeling bombarded yet?
Sorry, I just had to share. I am so, so, so excited for tonight! I can't wait to see how they perform together. Oh man. This is gonna be good.
Omaha, here I come.
(In spirit anyway.)
No comments:
Post a Comment