18 August 2008

Back in the Blogosphere, Baby

Ahhh.... this feels good already.

So, back in the day, I was a blogging maniac. But that was on Myspace (which is quite frankly pathetic-looking these days), and that was when I was in school and was willing to do ANYTHING to avoid writing papers and going to class. (Don't get me started on that. School is starting for everyone, and I feel like a super geek because I'm sad I'm not going back too, as much as I wanted to bang my head against a wall while it was actually going on.) But for whatever reason, I just sort of stopped writing, and I've realized more than ever lately how much I miss it. I think it's partly because the Internet feels like such a safe place to expose myself to the world, without all the uncomfortableness of actually TELLING people what goes on inside this crazy inner world of mine. Maybe that's not the way it should be, but I can't deny the fact that sometimes there is nothing more therapeutic to me than to put my thoughts and feelings into words, to really delve into myself and work things out sentence by sentence. 

So there you go. For those of you who have never read my blogs, be prepared for some brutal honesty. I don't hold much back in these things, and they can be pretty raw sometimes, but I think it's gonna be good to get back into the habit of writing. I'm in desperate need of some mental exercise. 

Furthermore, I certainly am not going to pretend to be any Paul Krugman or David Sedaris or anything, but I have read some pretty idiotic and pompous blogs lately (which do not include Amy's or Tara's, in case you're reading this!), and I figure that there's no harm in jumping on the bandwagon of self-obsession and risk making a fool of myself. A solid dose of humility never hurt anyone, anyway. 

I just seriously think it's amazing how this whole blogging thing makes everyone feel like an important writer (including myself- don't get me wrong). I love how the "Stuff White People Like" guy talks in his book about how white people all think they have the most fascinating experiences to share, but there are only so many books that could be published about studying abroad, getting high at a music festival, etc. etc., so they've become bloggers instead so they can still tell their "crazy stories" and hope someone cares enough to read them. I guess Blogspot is the next best thing to getting on the NYT bestseller list these days. 

So, to play catch-up for all the blogs that never got posted about MY all-important life events, I'll sum it up for you:
In May, I graduated from UT with a practically useless but oh-so-fun English degree. 
In June, I got married to probably the only man patient and forgiving enough to live with me. He is one of the few good men left on the planet, and I am so lucky to have him. 
In July, I got re-promoted as a shift supervisor at Starbucks, where I'm working for health benefits until I figure out what further education I need to pursue to make my undergraduate degree worth a flying flip. But I do genuinely love my job and the people I work with. Sure, at times I stand at the espresso bar chucking out lattes to ungrateful, rude, and un-caffeinated people and wonder why I bothered to go to school, but I know it's not permanent, and for now, it's perfect. I have met some of the best people I've ever known here, and they are the reason I endure the politics and drama of Starbucks. 
In August (well, so far anyway), we adopted a Plott hound named Gretchen. She is such a good dog, but definitely possesses some of the annoying tendencies of puppies (i.e. chewing on everything, having accidents in the apartment, and barking incessantly when she gets put in her crate- I swear, you'd think we abuse her). 

There you have the Sparknotes version of my life these days. Now that the superficialities are over with, I'm ready to get into the nitty-gritty (ha, what a phrase). 

I can't wait. 


No comments: